Great Honeymoons in Belize
Belize is a popular honeymoon spot. With some prior planning, visitors even get married in Belize. Here, in no particular order, are our suggestions for great honeymoon destinations in Belize.
For Soft Adventure in the Jungle
Here are four jungle lodges where you can enjoy nature with creaturecomforts and privacy:
* Chan Chich Lodge in Orangewalk District. In the middle of the bush,with cut trails for easy jungle access and good local guides to share theirknowledge with you. Cabañas are single units for privacy. Very safe,very good.
* Lamanai Outpost Lodge in Orangewalk District: Beautiful setting onthe New River Lagoon near Lamanai ruins. Take a spotlight nature tour atnight. Thatch cabañas aren't fancy but well designed and private.
* Chaa Creek, near San Ignacio, Cayo: For privacy, choose the new honeymooncottage, as most other accommodations are in duplex cabañas.
* Jaguar Paw, Belmopan Area: Ride the river and explore caves by day,enjoy good food and air conditioned comfort by night.
For a sybaritic honeymoon, consider one of these options:
* The villa units at Blancaneaux in Mountain Pine Ridge. You'll livelike a movie star at Francis Ford Coppola's place. Swim in the river, visitnearby waterfalls, tour the ancient city of Caracol.
* The beachfront owners' villas at Victoria House, Ambergris Caye: Luxuriousdesigner villas directly on the water.
* Condo unit at Villas at Banyan Bay, Ambergris Caye: New and nicelyfurnished condos with jacuzzis and other modcons.
* Stay in a tent at a "safari" camp at Chaa Creek, near SanIgnacio, or at M.E.T. in the Mountain Pine Ridge
* Honeymoon in a "tree house" at Parrot's Nest near San Ignacio
* Rough it on the reef in a cabin on Tobacco Cay, Ranguana Caye, or othersmall caye
* Camp at Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve (common kitchens are available tocook your own meals)
Kickback and Relax Honeymoon
For a low key, no-pressure honeymoon, try one of these:
* Beach cabaña at Kitty's Place, Placencia
* Thatch beach cabaña at Turtle Inn, Placencia
* Thatch cabaña at Captain Morgan's Retreat, north Ambergris Caye(you may be able to use the chapel at the Essene Way next door to get married)
* Private cabaña at Lighthouse Reef Resort
Get Away from It All
* Charter a sailboat and visit your choice of more than 200 islands inthe Caribbean off the coast of Belize -- the 84-foot catamaran "Rendezvous"is one that does crewed charters
* Rent your own private island -- French Louis Caye is one that's availablefor around US$150 a day. It has a wooden house, snorkeling right off thebeach, and no mosquitos. (Reserve through Kitty's Place, Placencia.)